Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Halloween, African Style.

The lovely Kate, who got VERY, VERY sunburned. Massa, Kate, massa...
(Massa being an expression of sympathy.)

Eating xaal wolof (watermelon) on the beach.


Man with his heard of 30 cows that were just sauntering down the beach. They walked over our buried watermelons.

Atlantic ocean, Joleen, Xaal wolof, and me.

Burying the watermelon in an attempt to cool it down. After sitting in the sun for an hour is was too hot to eat. Cue the heard of cows.

My other best friend here, Modou. Ridiculously smart. Also very strong- he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder like it was no big deal. He's a funny one, that Modou.

Vigorously applying sunscreen in an attempt to not get sunburned. Verdict: Unsuccessful. End Result: Very Tan.

Andrew, friend from UW, and the only boy on our program.

My INCREDIBLY funny senegalese friend, Mas. The gentle giant as we like to refer to him.

Joleen with a crab that the boys had a fun time catching. Faites attention au pincers.

Senegalese fishing boats called 'pirogues.' They are colorfully painted and HUGE. The fishermen go out in these everyday and return with tons of fish.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT HB! I miss you so much. I am so glad to see these pictures---you look stunning. I love you !!!!!!!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, this looks WONDERFUL! All of your friends seem like really good people and you look like you're having fun. I want to bury a watermelon in the sand and see if a watermelon tree grows.
    <3 Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! you, your environment, your friends, your watermelon. all BEAUTIFUL! love/miss you!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah!

    You look so beautiful and happy!
    I miss you a ton but I'm glad to see you're having a great time.

    LOVE YOU

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete